Twice baked potato and spinach

So I'm sharing another new recipe I have tried, and although not the healthiest in terms of carbs it was a day where all I wanted was comfort food. So instead of my go to extra crispy wedges with melted cheese and gravy I decided to give this twice baked potato and spinach a try as a replacement.

All in all it turned out well and curbed my unhealthy comfort food cravings I was having. 


This is my Hubby's plate, I had 2 halves of a smaller potato.

Ingredients:

3-4 medium to large potato's
1 cup of boiled/steamed broccoli
2 handfuls of spinach (I used frozen)
Dash of milk 
Sprinkle of low fat cheese on top
Salt and pepper to taste

Steps:

1) preheat oven to 230c or 450 f

2) wash potato's removing dirt but leaving the skin on, pierce each potato deeply with a fork (be carefull,  my hand now has fork dents in it)

3) bake potato's on a pan for 50-60 minutes. Once cooked remove from oven and slice then in half length ways.

4) while potato's are baking, boil/steam broccoli until tender. Mash with a potato masher or fork and while still hot add the spinach until wilted/defrosted.

5) carve out a well into the potato's, leaving a thick layer of skin & flesh to hold shape and mash inside.

6) mash the scooped out potato and add milk to form thick mash potato, add the broccoli and spinach and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste

7) scoop the mash Mixture back into the hollowed out potato's and top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.

8) grill/ broil for 3-4 minutes till the cheese is golden brown.

Serve as a main dish with a salad or as a side to a main meal.

So my comments on this recipe is overall it was a tasty filling meal that curbed my cravings. Although it is not a super healthy meal it beats a lot of other choices I would have gone with. Only thing I suggest is making sure you make the mash on the thicker side. I made mine a bit thinner and when I cut into the potato's is feels like I'm eating a chicken Kiev when the garlic sauce leaks every where but on the fork full of chicken I want to eat.

Hope you all enjoyed this recipe and check out my last blog where I share my recipe for meatless spaghetti bolognese. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 inches lost in 3 days!

Leek, sweet potato and lemon grass soup

I lost 7 inches (18 cm) in 8 days