Leek, sweet potato and lemon grass soup

Now I'm not normally one for soup, unless its pumpkin soup full of cream and butter, but having visited my local fruit and veg shop and picking up some cheap leeks and sweet potato I decided to make up a recipe as I go, and it turned out really well. Even hubby liked it when he is more of a braised steak and onion soup fan.

So I'll list my ingredients and the recipe but this is a full customisable recipe, add what vegetables you like. You don't have to go out and buy everything I list just use what needed to be used up from your fridge.

This recipe only has 6 ingredients not including oil and water. But again add any vegetables you wish


Ingredients:

1 large leek, thinly sliced then chopped roughly.
2 small sweet potato (or one large one) diced to desired size
1 large carrot diced a bit smaller that the sweet potato
1/2 cup frozen spinach (1-1.5 cups if using fresh)
1 cube of salt reduced chicken stock cube
1-1/5 L of water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp of lemon grass paste

Optional: garlic and cheese bread to serve with

1-2 a loaf of Turkish bread sliced to desired thickness
1tbs olive oil
1/2 tbs garlic (more or less by preference)
1/4 cup of grated cheese of choice

Method:

1) heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Cook leeks for 3-5 mins until starting to go soft.

2) add diced sweet potato, lemon grass and carrot into saucepan and cook for another 5 mins

3) add water, stock cube and spinach. Bring up to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 mins with lid on.

4) serve as is, or make some cheesy garlic bread to serve with.



Method for cheese garlic bread:

1) line Turkish bread of foiled baking sheet.

2) mix olive oil and garlic and pour evenly over bread.

3) even sprinkle cheese over the bread and bake in preheated oven (180 celcius/ 360 f) for 10 mins or until cheese is melted and golden brown.

Now this soup tasted amazing served warm, but it would also be really nice served cold as well. Even though I made a large pot full hubby had seconds and we didn't have any left over to try it cold. Bit I do know the next time I buy leeks this recipe is is being made into a large batch and frozen for future meals.

Now if you have been following my blogs you know I am on a weight loss journey, and in my previous blog I discussed how I will be working towards completing a 25km trail run up a mountain. And I only have 10 months to train for this, going from an occasional workout to 25kms, but I need help to be able to reach this goal so I have set up a go fund me to make this dream and goal possible. So if you can I would really appreciate and cherish any help from you.

So read my previous blog explaining more in detail of my goal here: https://abcdreams7766.blogspot.com.au/2018/01/i-must-be-crazy-or-brilliant-you-decide.html

And here is the link to my go fund me if you are able to help in any way:  https://www.gofundme.com/go-from-overweight-to-25km-trailrun

Thank you all, don't forget to follow me to keep updated and read my previous blogs. Hope you are all well and comment if you give this recipe a try.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 inches lost in 3 days!

I lost 7 inches (18 cm) in 8 days